Monday, October 24, 2011

Still a work in progress


I hated the days when it was so hot I could taste my own salty sweat
it dripped into my eyes causing a sting.
While I stood blinded by sun, the mosquitoes biting my legs numb
Sucking me dry into a pruney structure.

Lifeless.

like the cocoons you crushed with your bare six year old fingers
the brown sludge leaking out with no permission granted.
the butterfly never knowing  the colors of its wings
the symmetry of his patterns.

I let the caterpillars crawl up and down my arms
Fascinated by their blue and yellow color scheme
Tracing the holes in the leaves they bit through
Not knowing if they would make it past a kindergartner’s curiosity.

I wanted more than anything to follow in their pattern
To change and fly away that moment when he held me down
and I could have sworn I said no
My only untainted gift taken without permission.
while I curled into a broken cocoon structure.
Damaged....the brown sludge leaking out.

The butterfly with the broken wings colors dulled
 it sleeps on my shoulder through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment